Saturday, May 26, 2018

Drivebelt Tensioner

When I replaced the drive belt a while back I found that the tensioner bearings were rough and made some noise when I spun the pulley.

I ordered tensioner from RockAuto.com

Today I finally got a chance to install it.

Unfortunately I did not take many pictures. I started at dawn, and I was in a hurry to beat that Texas heat. Besides my hands were pretty dirty.





I released the tension on the belt from underneath the truck with 1/2" ratchet, and slipped the belt off the Air-conditioning Compressor. Used a 13mm socket on the bolt that holds the tensioner on. It was so tight that I ended up loosening the bold with a beaker bar from the top side. Then went back under to remove the bolt the rest of the way.

It was a TIGHT fit. I was able to pull the old tensioner out from the bottom. The new tensioner was a little thicker, it would not fit between the compressor and fan shroud. I was able to slip the tensioner between the fan blades from the other side of the engine and work it around to the side it needed to be on.
Started the bolt on the tensioner, but left it real loose so that I could get the drive belt back in place easier since the belt slips between the pulley and motor.
Once the belt was in place; I tightened the tensioner bolt.

Used that 1/2 ratchet to compress the tensioner to get the drive belt back on over the compressor. checked all the pulleys to make sure the belt was on correctly.
Snugged the belt tensioner down more, and started the truck.
Everything looked good.

How long? The hardest part was figuring out how to get the new belt tensioner back in. I tried a bunch of things before I discovered working it around in the fan.
It took a couple of hours, and a some choice words.

Next time will be a lot faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

PedalBoard

Started building myself a pedalboard. Thought about what I wanted in a pedalboard. Room to grow Velcro to attach pedals Place under b...