Sunday, May 13, 2018

Barbell and Weights restore

I've been looking for more ways to burn calories.



My father has some old Dan Lurie weights he purchased in the late 50's. He was going to let me use them.




I started cleaning them up but found a really good deal on another other weight set on Craigslist that I could not pass up. I may or may not do a post on the weight set I bought.










I will be giving these weights back to my Dad, but in much better condition.



The weights have been sitting outside at his house for years. The barbell is hardened steel so it's mainly surface rust, but under were the weights were, there is some pitting.

My guess is; since the weights were left, the barbell would not dry very fast after a rain.
Everything I've read is that you should remove the weights when you are not using them. With out a weight rack, that makes it a pain to put them someplace.








real rusty where the weights were.

On the bar, I used a wire brush to get the major rust chunks off. Then some light sanding.

I used some rust remover chemical on the barbell. I don't have a picture of that here. I already sprayed it with primer.

The weights, I just used a wire brush on a drill.

Some primer - I actually did not take any pictures of the weights, Barbell and Collars primed. Close your eyes and picture them gray.

After some wire brush action
Ive Started painting the barbell and weight also. I will post an update with pictures when Im done.

Some light sanding.













See how that Barbell shines? I thought about keeping it that way, and just putting come kind of protective coat on in. Thinking I would keep it in my garage, But decided I did not want to mess with it anymore than I had too. Plus since I got that other weight set and will most likely taking this back to my Dad's, it will probably be kept outside.


collar before wire brushing

collar after wire brushing

weight before wire brush

weight after wire brushing

Again, I will take some more pictures of it painted. Dad said when he first got it, they were all black. Some time over there years he replied them a Royal Blue. That royal blue color really looked nice. Too bad I only had 1 can of royal blue. Looks like the collars were red, I will repaint those red (actually I already have, but only 1 coat so far)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

PedalBoard

Started building myself a pedalboard. Thought about what I wanted in a pedalboard. Room to grow Velcro to attach pedals Place under b...