Saturday, March 17, 2018

Lamp Out Warning - Intermittent

remove these 2 Torx head
Screws
I drive a 2005 Dodge 3500 - Great truck! Diesel and Im getting 21.45 mpg in the city. What's there not to like?

My lamp out warning light would come on intermittently. I would pull over to check the lights and all the lights worked.
This month I need to get the truck inspected, so I figured I needed to get this sorted.

How to pull out tail lights out, or change a tail/brake/reverse light bulb on a 2005 Dodge


Remove the 2 Torx head screws

remove these 2 Torx head
Screws
The lens has pegs that go in these holes

note the 4 phillip head screws





















I pulled the tail lights out, and found that I could wiggle one of the bulbs to make it fail.

t should look like this on both sides











With wire melted in










Pulled the bulbs to look closer at them. Noticed that one did not look like the others.
The metal wire on one side looked like it was broken off. So it seemed.

scrapped the plastic off the wire on the left






I did not want to buy another bulb since this bulb was good. We like to fix things instead of sending them to a land fill.

Took out the pocket knife and discovered the wire was not broke off, but just melted into the plastic. I scrapped the plastic, and pulled the wire out some.



pulled the wire out a little










Since the revers bulbs are the same, I just put this bulb in the reverse lights slot.


Lights were great now, time to go get it inspected.







If you need to replace the part the holds the bulbs, the wire can be a little tricky to get unplugged. There is a little red clip or keeper that helps hold the wire connector on that needs to be taken off first. Then you can unplug the wire.
The red clip
the red clip












No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

PedalBoard

Started building myself a pedalboard. Thought about what I wanted in a pedalboard. Room to grow Velcro to attach pedals Place under b...