Thursday, April 6, 2017

Vespa - Running Rich 1.0

The Vespa will start after sitting, then dies. You can smell fuel. I need to put some new fuel in it I know. Figured I would mess with it anyway.

Possible reasons for it to run rich is that the float is not working properly (fills with fuel and not floating) or the needle valve is not sealing or Stuck Choke. I took the fender off, and the cover to the carb.


Pull the air filter off



Choke seemed to be free and working properly. I pinched the fuel line with some vise grips to cut down on the fuel spilling out. Unscrew the bolt that holds on the fuel line. You can undue the hose clamp and pull it off that way if you want. I like doing it this way, because it seems a little tougher to get the hose back on the barb vrs just unscrewing that bolt. Also take out the 2 bolts that holds the float housing. Those 2 bolts have washers that you do not want to drop. I know this, because I dropped one and it took for ever to find it.




Float looks fine, no signs of holes, cracks or wear.



























Here you can see the bolt hole that holds the fuel line barb on. The slot above the bolt hole and under the gasket is where the fuel flows into the carburetor. If you clean it, you can hold it so the float hangs down and blow in that slot. The with your finger push the float up to see if the needle valve seals. Mine seemed to work fine.

I took it further apart to see if I could find anything wrong.
On the towel you can se the cap I took off, and the 1 screw that held it on. Under the cap is a plastic screen. It did have some dirt on it. But I don't think that would cause my problems either.

Figured I would take the float off and check out the needle valve. Push the pin out with a drift punch, or really anything you can find. You could use a paper clip if you wanted to.





Everything looks ok. Kind of wish I found something that could be causing my problems.

Looking it over to see if anything is stuck in the holes or dirty. It looks fine to me.

This is one of the bolts that held the float and needle assembly on. With that washer I dropped.



Just put everything back together in revers order.

Leave a comment or question if you have any.

I got everything back together and still have the issue. Probably just need some good fuel in it.

I will post again the next time I work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

PedalBoard

Started building myself a pedalboard. Thought about what I wanted in a pedalboard. Room to grow Velcro to attach pedals Place under b...