Saturday, August 4, 2018

Dodge 3500 Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly


Heard some rubbing noise, and grinding sounds when I made turns.
Honestly I heard some small noises for a few weeks that I just thought were a little brake squeal.


The grinding is not a pleasant sound when driving a 1 ton truck or any vehicle.
LOL Stating the obvious there I suppose. I once took a speech class in college. One of the guys did a speech on martial arts. I will never forget this line from his speech. "Elbow smash to the Adam's apple, I think that would hurt very much". Most of the guys laughed.


Anyway, imagining being stuck somewhere in traffic and the cost of being towed home. Besides the cost of repair.


I was not sure what it was at first, but after thinking about it I just knew it was the front wheel bearings that have gone out. This discovery got me to thinking; Was I supposed to be maintaining these bearings by packing them on a regular basis?
No - they are sealed bearings and not something you need to repack.



I pulled The front wheel off and sure enough there was a lot of slop (in and out play, and very easy to turn) in the hub assembly. You could feel the bearings rough and grind as you turned the hub assembly. Bearings are supposed to be smooth and not any slop.



After reseacrhing and reading reviews (some bad reviews on other parts store parts) I decided to buy it at Napa Auto Parts. Hub Assemblies are not a cheap part, and if you find a really cheap part you might get just what you pay for. Not a part I wanted to gamble on.
the 3 bolts that hold the hub
on. 18mm Need a socket for
the bottom 2.


Pretty easy to replace, Pull the wheel,
Brake caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor like you were going to do a brake job.


There are only 3 big bolts in the back that hold the Hub on. You might need to Tap around the old hub with a hammer to get it off.
The new hub slid right in no problem.
Put everything back together.

Dont forget to pump your brakes before driving driving off just like doing a brake job. It takes a few pumps to get your brake pressure back up.
Hub out

Check the orientation of the
backing plate
Pretty easy job, you can do it yourself. Just a few wrenches, socket wrench, and a socket.
I wore gloves to keep the brake dust off my hands. Back when I was a mechanic I hardly ever wore gloves, There was always an easy place to wash your hands in the shop. You did not have to open and doors. I wear gloves often now manly so its easier to clean my hands, but I assume it is healthier as well, lessoning the exposure to chemicals.

I need to check the other side, and a home repair before I can work on that Fender Amp! Oh, and mow the yard before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

PedalBoard

Started building myself a pedalboard. Thought about what I wanted in a pedalboard. Room to grow Velcro to attach pedals Place under b...