Saturday, September 1, 2018

Took a Chance

We have been living in this house a pretty long time. It's a pier and beam foundation. Foundations just have problems in Texas. Im not exactly sure why. Really dry and hot, then wet and cold, black clay that cracks in the summer. Three inch wide cracks in the dirt during the summer are not uncommon.


The wax seal under the toilet started leaking when we take showers.
I replaced the seal in the other restroom a few years ago. Ive only had to do it once.

Went up to HomeDepot and saw they had a rubber seal. Looked pretty good to me, not having to deal with the wax.

So, I took a chance.

It looks like a really good product, but it did not work for us. 
I think it would work well for a house with a good foundation (We are saving up for foundation repair).
The flange on our pipe is also warped as well. I probably should replace the flange, but I'm trying not to cut any holes in the floor just yet. Remodeling the bathroom is on our list, but not now. Foundation repair would be our next big expense.
Just need to stop the leak for now.
Most likely, after a foundation repair I will be replacing these seals again anyway.

It still leaks; so tomorrow morning I will head up and get a wax seal. I had a feeling it would not work for our application...

When we get around to a remodel, we will try this product again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

PedalBoard

Started building myself a pedalboard. Thought about what I wanted in a pedalboard. Room to grow Velcro to attach pedals Place under b...